Kenya wrote to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on Saturday asking to withdraw their interest in taking over from Ghana as hosts.
CAF confirmed receiving Kenya’s letter announcing its inability to host the tournament and will be looking elsewhere for the new hosts.
CAF had earlier singled out Kenya to host the event but now South Africa looks likely to host the tournament
Ghana have been stripped of the right for hosting the competition and Kenya were tipped to take over following a public expression of interest from Mwendwa.
However, the FKF President Nick Mwendwa says they will not be ready to take over from Ghana as they have just one stadium in a good condition to take over.
“Kenya have withdrawn interest in hosting 2018 AWCON,” Mwendwa told KweséESPN on Sunday.
“We had expressed our interest in hosting the competition after learning that Ghana will not be able to host.
This development may not go well with the fans and players .